Black Bottom Bears (gingerbread men)

by - 1:37 PM

LR black bears-21
I made gingerbread men

LR black bears-6
well gingerbread bears actually.

LR black bears-8
I got so busy decorating them that I made black bears with the first batch. All of a sudden it smelled like burn! So I ran to the oven and there they were Black bottomed Bears.
LR black bears-13
Very disappointing,

I heard that Little J, 2 years old had decapitated ALL of the gingerbread men that his mother had spent the whole day making and decorating with the intention of giving for gifts.
I think it would be better to have unburnt topless gingerbread men than black bottomed gingerbread bears.
I scraped the black off their bottoms with a knife and I got out some leftover maple frosting from another project . My decorating skills didn’t go so well maybe it was because I was using a fork.

LR black bears-17
I just smeared it all over them. Now they were more like White or light brown bears. They still tasted a little like burn.

They were eaten.

Overheard: “Look, a paraplegic Bear, he doesn’t have any arms or legs”
“Paraplegic? Where’s his head? Isn’t he dead?”
“His head’s right here, I just bit off his ears so now he has a pointy head”

Merry Christmas!

LR black bears-19
Here's the recipe worked off of
Gingerbread Men:
  • 3 cups (390 grams) all purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoons salt
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 teaspoons ground ginger
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/2 cup (113 grams) butter, room temperature
  • 1/2 cup (100 grams) granulated white sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 2/3 cup (160 ml) unsulphured molasses


beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and molasses and beat until well combined. add the flour, baking soda, spices and salt .
Divide the dough in half, and wrap each half in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least two hours or overnight or put in the freezer for 20 min or so.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C)
On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to a thickness of about 1/4 inch. Use a gingerbread cutter to cut out the cookies. With an offset spatula lift the cut out cookies onto the baking sheet.
Bake for about 8 - 12 minutes depending on the size of the cookies. Small ones will take about 8 minutes, larger cookies will take about 12 minutes. They are done when they are firm and the edges are just beginning to brown.
Remove the cookies from the oven and cool on the baking sheet for about 1 minutes. When they are firm enough to move, transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
If desired, you can press raisins, currants, or candies into the dough for eyes and buttons while the cookies are still warm. Otherwise, confectioners frosting can be used to decorate the cookies. You can also use the icing as a glue to attach candies, raisins, and sprinkles.

You May Also Like

3 comments

  1. Humorous accounts of edible bears and men....so your bears got a little unintentionally "chocolate"? Many bakers can relate, I'm sure! =) This was a most uncookied year for me....I made only Pecan Sandies....all the better for keeping my waist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These were delicious. We ate every last ear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Humorous accounts of edible bears and men....so your bears got a little unintentionally "chocolate"? Many bakers can relate, I'm sure! =) This was a most uncookied year for me....I made only Pecan Sandies....all the better for keeping my waist!

    ReplyDelete

Find me on

Facebook Taste spotting