Gluten Free pie crust

by - 7:29 AM

blueberry cherry pie-6965

 

I did not start my day intending to make gluten free pie crust, I was just going to make some blueberry cherry pie and make pie crust like I always do. Then I found out I’m gluten intolerant.

I was at the chiropractors telling her I wasn’t going to do any more Epsom salt baths because it made my eczema (notice how I call it my eczema? I’ve had it so long I think it’s part of me) break out all over my back.

Instead of her agreeing with me and saying Epsom salt was bad. She said that was ok and it was was working to draw stuff out of my body through my skin. While I’m thinking itchy skin is not anything to be excited about she says she’ll test me for gluten intolerance. She had me hold my arm out straight and she pressed down gently. My arm didn’t move much. Then she grabbed three vials of some concentrated glutens and held them to my chest and pushed my arm down like nothing. She said I was gluten intolerant. It felt to me like she just pushed much harder on my arm when she held the vials to my chest. She assured me she had used the same amount of pressure both times.

 

You want me to go gluten free?  No, you don’t seem to understand, I’m making blueberry cherry pies today. I make plans and like to stick to them and the crust is already made and waiting for me.

I thought about it and decided to give it a try. If she’s right, good. If she’s crazy and totally wrong about this I haven’t lost anything by not eaten gluten for a month or so. I can always go back to my previous option of buying more corticosteroids and the continuing possibility of becoming immune to them.

 

blueberry cherry pie c1

 

I did make the blueberry cherry pies with the pie crust as planned and recruited volunteers to help me out and eat the pies.

Then I decided to make gluten free pie crust!

 

Gluten free rice flour Pie crust

 

I read a few recipes online and didn’t have all the stuff so I tried it with just rice flour. It’d not flakey by any stretch of the imagination that’s for sure. I’ll work on some other pie crust recipes in the future.

 

But right now all I want is some pasta with that pesto I made last fall and put in the freezer so I could have some right about now. I’ll be studying gluten free pasta recipes too.

 

 

Gluten free rice flour Pie crust

ingredients

  • 1 3/8 cups rice flour
  • 1/2 tablespoon sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 stick unsalted butter, very cold
  • 1 cup ice water (toss a couple ice cubes in)

 

In a  bowl mix together 2 1/2 cups rice flour, sugar and salt. cut butter into pieces.With a pastry blender cut the butter into the flour mixture. stop when all of the butter pieces are the size of tiny peas.
Start by drizzling tablespoons of the ice-cold water over the butter and flour. Start working it together. Add water spoon a at a time until dough come together. Be careful to not add too much water.  wrap with plastic wrap.  Let the dough chill in the fridge  or pop it in the freezer for a little while before rolling it out.


You May Also Like

0 comments

Find me on

Facebook Taste spotting