This is my favorite strawberry recipe!
if you follow the recipe you only need to put 1/4 cup of sugar in but if you are not paying attention like me throw in a half cup! What was I thinking?
I think I just died and went straight to strawberry heaven.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup butter, cut into tablespoon-size slices
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 quart large ripe whole strawberries, hulled strawberries (if necessary to wash them, do so very quickly, and drain on rack)
- Pinch of freshly-grated lemon zest (rind)
- Fruit Glaze (see recipe below)
Combine flour, 1/4 cup sugar, and baking powder. Add butter by tablespoons and cut in with pastry cutter until butter is incorporated and mixture is reduced to small crumbs (butter pieces the size of small peas is fine).
Pour crumb mixture into a 9-inch pan. Press crumbs gently over the bottom and half-way up sides of pan, approximately 1/8-inch thick. Do not pack mixture down too firmly. Bake for 10 minutes.
While crust is baking, combine egg yolks, sour cream, remaining 1/4 cup sugar, vanilla extract, and lemon zest.
Remove baked crust from oven and immediately pour sour cream mixture into the hot crust. Return to oven for 10 minutes. Remove from oven, let cool, and then refrigerator until serving time.
When ready to serve, arrange whole strawberries on top of the custard. Lightly brush the strawberries with the Fruit Glaze.
- 2 tablespoons apricot jam or red currant jelly (or use jam or jelly of your choice)
- 2 tablespoons water